Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Pierced

Last night I was talking to Brooklyn about what she wants for her birthday which is next Wednesday. She said princess stuff, new eyeshadow(for play and photo shoots only), a lamp so she can look at books when she's not really tired, and her very own box of tissues so she doesn't have to walk all the way to the bathroom to get one. Jon and I laughed SO hard!

I asked her if she would like to get her ears pierced and she got so excited. Today after school Jon and I took her to Claire's in the mall and she changed her mind about 7 times about which earrings to choose. She finally decided on the CZ's.

She got in the chair, the girl cleaned her ears and then the tears came. Awesome. I calmed her down and told her that we didn't have to do this, but that I knew how much she wanted it done and that she would be okay. After a few minutes she decided that she would do it. Luckily there were two people there so they each took an ear and got it done at the same time. Watching the look on her face as the earrings pushed through her flesh made me feel like an abusive parent......I thought about how she would never trust me again and that our relationship was doomed to therapy sessions where all she talked about was how her mother ruined her life when she was almost 6.

Then she looked in the mirror and a huge smile spread across her face.

Phew! Crisis averted.....

5 comments:

.:heather:. said...

yippee for her!!! i was always to freaked to get my ears done i didnt get them peirced till i was 15. i bet she look cute with earing

Sarah said...

Where is the picture????? You are really so funny, but I know that if I was in your shoes, I would be the same way!! :)

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Okay Sarah, here's a picture:)

Anonymous said...

Aw, so fun! I got mine pierced at 6, too...so cute!

Amy Dubois said...

Yay Brooklyn!! So excited for her!

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill