Tuesday, May 03, 2011

{Tutorial} Reversible Coffee Cozies

I have been wanting to make a coffee cozy for months,
but didn't like how most of them were attached with a huge button.

It is super cute, but would not fit in my car's cup holders
and really, the only time i buy a coffee is when I am "on the go".

Fitting in the cup holder was a must for me.

Then I thought, why have a cute fabric on the inside if you don't get to see it?

So I fixed both of my problems with one solution:
I sewed the cozy closed instead of using a button, and now it is reversible!!!

Oh yeah!!!
(Said like Vector from Despicable Me)

So I made a few;)
Okay, so maybe I made closer to fifty of them.
(They aren't all pictured)

I took them to my parent's house for Easter and let everyone choose their favorite,
starting with my Momma, then the Aunts, then my sisters and sister-in-law
and then the cousins and brothers(yes my brothers liked them too).

It was so much fun to watch them dig through to pick out their favorite.

My sister Trisha sent me a photo text a few days later of hers in use
and said that because of the coffee cozies she was no longer drinking the wrong coffee!!!
{There are alot of coffee drinkers in our family}
Apparently she just picks up whichever one is closest to her and drinks it.
Not anymore!
You're welcome family! ;)

This is the one I am currently using.
I {LOVE} the little love birds:)

And here is the reverse side.
I like the other side better, but if for some reason it is sticky with caramel
or something(that never happens) I can flip it and still look cute!

Wanna make one?

1. Trace a coffee sleeve from Starbucks onto a piece of cardboard
and add about a half inch all the way around to make a template.

2. Cut out 2 fabrics (make sure to flip the template after the first one).

3. Cut out a piece of batting the same size. 

4. Place the fabrics right side to right side(the pretty side of the fabric),
then lay the batting on top and pin all the way around.

5. Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance,
sew almost all the way around, leaving a 2 inch opening for turning.

6. Snip the corners and then turn the cozy right side out
(so that the pretty fabrics are showing now).

7. Iron, making sure to tuck the fabric in at the opening
so it lines up with the rest of the cozy.

8. Then topstich all the way around.

9. Buy a coffee and wrap the cozy around the cup,
then use pins to keep it in the correct shape.

10. Using a zigzag stitch, sew the cozy together,
then turn it inside out and sew the other loose end. 

11. Slip it on your coffee and feel super fancy.

I hope that all makes sense...if not leave me a comment and I will clarify.

This is what the sewed edge looks like.
Not as pretty as a button and loop, but it fits in my cup holder!

These would make a great Mothers Day gift!
Put one on an empty coffee cup with a gift card inside.

What mother doesn't desperately need like coffee?



Linking up with some of these lovely bloggies:
MONDAYS


Making Photobucket 

TUESDAYS

HOGPhotobucketGet Your Craft On Tuesday

WEDNESDAYS

My Craftie Life

THURSDAYS

giveawaysPhotobucketmake it wear itPhotobucket

Party ButtonHookingupwithHoH

FRIDAYS and WEEKENDS

A Little Knick KnackFantabulous Friday!  

 Photobucket Catch As Catch Can

UndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketThe Girl CreativeThirty Hand Made Days

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh these are such cuties! I've been wanting to make one for ages, definitely going to do it!

Dragonfliez Made said...

Such a great gift! I may have to add these to my ever growing list ;-)

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Very cute Amy! Great fabrics too!
xoxo,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [04 May 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Tammi said...

so you are pretty much the most amazing ever! what a great idea! they are all so cute!

The undomesticated scientist said...

thansk for that. have been planning on making one but just haven't got round to working it out!

Rebecca said...

I made a bunch of cozies {with the big ol' button} for Christmas gifts but I love the idea of them being reversible. These are cute. =]

Unknown said...

Cute and smart! Way to go reversible :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

That's a whole lot of coffee cozies!

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

Those are great! I may need to try my hand at them!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Amy-

50 of them??? Wow. Send one my way if there are any left...lol...

Great gift for the fam for Easter, eh?

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week...

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill