Monday, November 28, 2011

Refinished Garage Sale Mirror

 It has been so long since I bought this mirror…just look at my flat tummy!
This was right before I got pregnant...I will be 28 weeks tomorrow
and am really missing my waistline right now.**Sigh**

2011 05 20_1617 Okay, back to the mirror.
I bought it at a garage sale for $5 and knew exactly what I would do with it.
I loved that it was a DIY mirror and that the glass was cut in 1980.
It has the date on the back.

2011 09 25_4370
I sanded it a little and primed it.
Do you like my canned food stands? Use whatcha got, right?

2011 09 25_4376
Then I painted it this scrumptious mustard yellow:)
The color is Solar Fusion by Behr.

2011 09 25_4377
…then I painted my face a little.

2011 09 26_4443
The yellow was a little bright,
so I busted out the RL Tobacco Glaze and dirtied up the shiny paint job.
 2011 11 28_6572 copy I found some hooks with an oil-rubbed bronze finish at Target and had the husband put them on. I could have done this myself, but I am such a freak with the measuring that I just delegated. I’m learning! ;)

2011-11-28_6574 copyThis weekend we finally remembered to pick up some hardware to hang the mirror and my husband hung it up for me…not once, but twice! Yep. I have some holes to fill. The poor guy got it all hung up where I asked him too, only to look over at me making an “I hate it” face. Ha!
So then he lowered it about 9 inches and I was a happy wife!
 2011-11-28_6570 copy
See the hutch in the mirror?
Um, yeah…that’s another LONG overdue project that I am still working on.

It’s not that it is such a difficult project, it’s just that I can only work on it once my 2 year old goes to bed and by then I am so exhausted that I can’t do much. I am determined to get it done soon though! I am only getting bigger and more uncomfortable with the pregnancy, so it’s kinda like “now or never lady!” I’m going to have to COFFEE UP and push through the pain, but I am sure it will be worth it.

It is primed and now I just have to paint and glaze.

2011-11-28_6560 copy Dressed up a little for Christmas…I LOVE the colors together!

2011-11-28_6583 copy
Added bonus: I have somewhere to hang my favorite ornaments from Restoration Hardware
that are too heavy to hang on our tree! Boom!
~Amy~

Linking up with some of these blogs:
Fingerprints on the Fridge, Making The World Cuter, Dittle Dattle, Mad Skills Monday, Skip to my Lou, Craft O Maniac, Delicate Construction, Ask Anna, New Nostalgia, House of Grace, Sassy Sites, Not Just a Housewife, Today's Creative Blog, My Craftie Life, Sew Much Ado, Seven Thirty-Three, Someday Crafts, A Diamond in the Stuff, My Girlish Whims, Somewhat Simple, Momnivores Dilemma, Paisley Passions, Fun to Craft, Make it, Wear it, Gluesticks, House of Hepworths, What Allie's Making Now, Finding Fabulous, A Little Knick Knack, Mommas Kinda Crafty, Its a Hodgepodge Life, Inspiring Creations, Be Different Act Normal, Wildflowers and Whimsy, Tatertots and Jello, The Idea Room, My Repurposed Life, Sew Many Ways, I Heart Naptime, Thirty Handmade Days, Under the Table and Dreaming, Creative Itch, Oops I Craft My Pants, Addicted 2 Decorating

20 comments:

Jenna said...

Nice job girl! Love it! It looks great above the dresser and the ornaments look so good hanging on the hooks. Are you going to post a pregnancy pic sometime? I hope so! :)

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

First I looked at the photo, and thought, wait, did she have her baby?? Then I read what you wrote...Ohhhh! LOL!!

Anyway, seriously love the mirror. I'm so into that color right now, but don't have it anywhere in my house. The frame adds a great pop of color, and love the hooks. I have a mirror I've been wanting to do this with as well. Soon...

Rhiannon said...

hhmmmm not sure about that dresser though... let me just take it off your hands for you dont you worry!
LOL!!
Looks great!

Anna said...

Cute! I love the hooks on the bottom. :)

Anna

charis said...

well, i for one, as a fellow preggo mama, am very impressed with what projects you have finished! looks great. i love the ornaments on it as well.

my recent post: the great adventure

{twenty}something said...

Love the yellow!!! That would look great in my grey bedroom, lol :)

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

That looks fantastic. I love the 'dirty' yellow with the blue dresser. What an amazing area. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

samaa said...

Gorgeous project! Love the bold colour, it's so fun :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooh amy i love that color! it is so awesome and looks lovely paired with the blue. the hooks are a great touch, too!

Unknown said...

Your color choices are divine! What about that blue dresser below??? That's gorgeous too. Thanks for sharing and stop by my place sometime!
Sherry

Junky Vagabond said...

Impressive! Love how glaze makes everything just right :)
-Jill

Tammi said...

I was with you the day you got that mirror!:) it turned out perfect! love it! you're amazing!!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Looks great! Love how you have hung the ornaments there. I am a new GFC and Fb follower visiting from Blue Cricket. I am a fellow Nor Cal mama. Vicky from Mess For Less

LSharkey said...

Looks amazing! I love it!

Alida - Radcrafter said...

Love the yellow and the glaze gives it just the right touch. Great $5 dollar find!

I'd love to invite you to share this project at my Thingamajig Thursday party going on now.

Alida
radcrafter.com

sstone said...

I think you were definitely right, that yellow was very bright. I love the way you muted it.:)
Shiloh
everydaygameplan.net

Unknown said...

Wow your mirror turned out great! I love the mustard yellow- it looks so fresh and new. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Trio!

Boden said...

Love that color! And, gotta say, it's so stunning paired with your gorgeous dresser! I'd be thrilled if you came to link this up to the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

The mirror looks great over the dresser! :) And the ornaments look fab hanging there!
gail
ps catching you this week!

Unknown said...

I totally am digging the color! and i love the fact the you can hang things there! We are featuring it today in the blog, FB, Twitter and Pinterest. ^^)

thanks a lot for linking up at the party. hope to see you again this week! ^^) And don't forget, votation for week 2 finalist will start today and will end next friday.

hugs,
Lelanie

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill